25 Things To Do When You Can't SleepMelissa
I’ve been having trouble sleeping lately, and judging from others I’ve spoken to, I’m not alone. So I thought it would be fun to put together a list of things to do when the boat to dreamland leaves you stranded.
Most of these can be accomplished in the comfort of your bed, depending on what you keep on your bedside table. As a mom in the 21st century, my phone or laptop are usually nearby, but even if you’re not as plugged in as I am, you should still find something useful here.
- Pray. Usually I find that if I’m awake in the middle of the night, God has awakened me for something, so I try to listen for what he has for me.
- Mentally re-arrange the furniture.
- Plan tomorrow.
- Plan the week’s meals.
- Knit or crochet. You can kill two birds with one stone this way – making gifts and keeping warm while staying busy. If you pray while you knit, you could kill three birds. Some of my favorite pattern sites are Lion Brand and Ravelry.
- Check Facebook. This has been known to stress me out in the middle of the night, too. But sometimes it’s great to see who else is not sleeping.
- Read. I moved this lower in the list, because it’s the obvious old-school go-to, but it’s still one of my favorites when I can’t sleep. Some of the books that have been on my bedside table lately are One Thousand Gifts and Captivating: Unveiling the Mystery of a Woman’s Soul.
- Plan what you would do if you inherited a million dollars. This is honestly one of my favorites. And my husband and I enjoy doing this together on a regular basis. Daydreams are not a bad substitute for night dreams.
- Do word puzzles or sudoku.
- Answer e-mail. This is NOT one of my favorites, but sometimes it helps to actually be productive when you’re not sleeping.
- Plan homeschool lessons.
- Grade papers. It never ends.
- Plan your dream vacation. It never starts.
- Plan a more practical vacation. I hold out more hope for this one.
- Appreciate your husband’s sleep from his soothing snores. (This is my husband’s contribution to the list.)
- Wake up your husband so you have company.
- Look online for friends from the west coast who might be awake too. If you’re on the west coast…look in Asia. If you’re really desperate, make friends in Asia.
- Clean out your email inbox. Here is a great article about how to clean out your Gmail inbox.
- Make an iTunes or Windows Media playlist.
- Surprise your husband or children with a playlist for one of them.
- Write a letter of love to your husband or children.
- Take melatonin.
- Make lists for birthday or Christmas presents.
- Listen to the bats in the attic.
- Write a blog post listing things you can do when you’re not sleeping.