Signs of Homeschool Burnout and How to RecoverJenn Hamrick
Here are some notes taken from the Homeschool Burnout hangout video below. Watch the entire recording to get all the great tips, but if you only have time for the highlights, browse these lists.
Never miss a Bright Ideas Press blog post. Subscribe here.
How do you know you are experiencing burnout? What are the warning signs?
- lack of joy and excitement about homeschooling
- bad attitude or even dread about your homeschooling tasks
- giving lectures to your kids, being critical and negative towards them
- lethargy, lack of motivation, a desire to give up
- short fuse, easily irritated
- tired, fatigued, don’t want to get out of bed in the morning
- wanting to hunker down and hibernate at home
- forgetful and emotional
Can children experience burnout? What are their symptoms?
Yes! Kids can get burned out if they are over-scheduled, facing a very challenging academic course, or not having enough recreational or social time
Every child is different, but here are some common signs:
- lazy with school work
- lack of motivation for school work
- bickering, complaining, arguing, crying
- asking to go to public/private school
- wanting to stay at home and not go out
What are causes of burnout?
- over-commitment and over-scheduling
- crisis in home situation or relationships
- overwhelmed with the task of homeschooling — record keeping, curriculum choices, etc.
- trying to compete with others or meet an impossible standard
How can you refresh yourself and gain the energy to prevent burnout?
- take care of yourself spiritually, emotionally, and physically
- do what builds you up
- reduce your load; learn to say no
- take breaks
- schedule for margin, fun, and breaks
- get some time alone at home
- remember what motivated you to homeschool in the beginning
- listen to your body/emotions and don’t just push through the fatigue
- ignore the naysayers and critics in your life
- ask for help
More resources on Homeschool Burnout
Here are some great posts by other homeschool moms on this topic.
Homeschool moms are busy
Bright Ideas gets that. And that’s why we promise to publish Christian-oriented curriculum that will fit into your hectic lives, curriculum that is both affordable and easy-to-use with children of different ages at the same time. Curriculum that busy Moms love! The team at Bright Ideas Press prays that our products and resources will not only help to simplify your life, but also inspire, encourage, and enable you as parents to effectively educate your children.
Subscribe to receive homeschool support articles, tips, and news and coupons from Bright Ideas Press.