Snack Ideas For Family Game NightAndrea Thorpe
Family game night is a fantastic way to bring family members together for an evening of fun, laughter, and friendly competition. In our home, even the simplest of family gatherings is not complete unless an array of delicious dishes are served. Family game night is no exception.
When serving foods on family game night, it’s important to select appropriate snacks. Because game play can move quickly and become intense (in a family-friendly way, of course), it’s best to serve filling snacks that can be eaten with ease rather than serve a full course meal. The right snacks can take family game night from super to superior!
What are the right snacks? Perfect family game night snacks are foods that will not interfere with game play. Though submarine sandwiches, tacos, or ribs are usually great for family gatherings, they’re not the best food choices for family game night. Such foods are mouthwatering, but they can be messy and often take two hands to hold. Forgo those types of food and select tasty one-handed wonders that leave the other hand free to move pawns, select cards, or keep score.
If you’re uncertain about how to plan snacks for family game night, here are three phrases to keep in mind as you ponder your menu.
- Keep it simple. You don’t want to miss out on the fun be because you’re stuck in the kitchen tending bubbling pots and watching over sizzling pans. Plan simple selections that require a minimum prep time but offer maximum flavor.
- Keep it small. You’ll need ample room for game play, so you may not have space to set out a large buffet. But because bite sized foods are small, you’ll be able to serve a variety of foods using less space.
- Keep it satisfying. Just because foods are small, doesn’t mean they can’t be tasty. Make the night extra special by serving filling but fun foods that will tickle the taste buds and satisfy the big appetites of hungry gamers.
After brainstorming a list of simple, small, and satisfying snacks, it’s time to start cooking! Menu possibilities are plentiful and are only limited by your imagination and your family’s tastes. Here are a few appetizing finger food favorites our family enjoys. They’d make an excellent addition to your family game night menu.
- Corn and Black Bean Salsa: This mix of black beans, corn, tomatoes, and seasonings is healthy and delicious. Serve with scoop shaped tortilla chips, so the salsa can be eaten using a single hand. Find the recipe here.
- Pizza Pinwheels: If you’ve got pizza loving players, they can still enjoy their favorite food in the shape of an easy to hold pinwheel. The family’s favorite pizza toppings are rolled inside a tasty bread dough, cut into slices, and then baked. Super easy, super tasty! You can find the recipe here.
- Fruit Kabobs: Fruit on a stick is an attractive, sweet, and healthy game night menu option. Wash and assemble a variety of fresh fruits such as strawberries, pineapple chunks, and blueberries. Slide the colorful fruits onto a skewer and arrange on a platter. These kabobs are another delicious one-handed winner!
Now that the menu is set, it’s time to pull out the board games and break out the paper plates. A fun night of food, family, and fellowship is about to begin. Even if you don’t win any of the games played that night, you’ll be seen as the evening’s true winner because your dishes will earn high scores!
Homeschool moms are busy
Bright Ideas gets that. And that’s why we promise to publish Christian-oriented curriculum that will fit into your hectic lives, curriculum that is both affordable and easy-to-use with children of different ages at the same time. Curriculum that busy Moms love! The team at Bright Ideas Press prays that our products and resources will not only help to simplify your life, but also inspire, encourage, and enable you as parents to effectively educate your children.
Subscribe to receive homeschool support articles, tips, and news and coupons from Bright Ideas Press.