The Benefits of Online Homeschool ClassesMarci Goodwin
One of the benefits of homeschooling is the flexibility it gives families to cater to each child’s learning style and interests, as well as the lifestyle of each family. In our own homeschool journey, we have used a variety of homeschool resources and education techniques with our children at different times and for different subjects.
When we wanted to follow an interest deeper, we did a unit study about that subject. If one math curriculum wasn’t working for a child, we found one that fit better with their learning style. Our kids have taken co-op classes and been apart of classes at the local zoo and museum. Another growing type of educational option for homeschoolers that we are big fans of is online learning.
Online homeschool learning consists of courses that students can take via computer or tablet. Students can choose from core curriculum or fun electives from a growing number of sources. The Academy At Bright Ideas Press offers 100+ quality online homeschool courses for middle and high school students taught by qualified instructors who make learning interesting and fun.
Types of Online Homeschool Classes
Online learning can be done several ways. For instance, The Academy At Bright Ideas Press offers live and self-paced online homeschool classes. What does that mean?
- Live online homeschool classes are hosted in a virtual classroom. These are live, teacher-led courses that meet at the same time each week. Students can interact with the teacher and other students during class time and can have access to their teacher throughout the week if they need questions answered.
- Self-paced online homeschool classes have recorded video lessons that the student can move through at their own pace. These are great for families who require flexibility in their schedules.
Benefits of Online Homeschool Classes
When researching what type online class is right for your family, consider your child’s learning style and your family’s lifestyle. These factor in greatly. No matter which type of the above online classes you choose for your student, each have great advantages. Take these into consideration.
- All the planning is done for you. No more gathering resources or scheduling lessons. The syllabus is already prepared and the plan is there for the student to follow.
- Gives the parent a break. Homeschooling is definitely a calling, but sometimes homeschool parents need a break from that calling. Giving someone else the reigns for a bit can help curb homeschool burnout for parents and students.
- Opportunity to take a course that the parent might not feel comfortable teaching. Take Spanish, for instance. I can’t speak Spanish, but my daughter wants to learn Spanish. There are online courses available taught by instructors fluent in Spanish. Sign her up!
- Teaches independence. Online classes allow the student to be responsible for their education. Often for the first time, students in online classes are responsible for turning in assignments on time, being ready for class, and preparing for tests.
Benefits of Live Online Homeschool Classes
- Adds structure to the homeschool experience. Most homeschool families have a more relaxed routine than you would find in a traditional school setting. There are usually no firm start and end times and no bells to signal it’s time to move on to the next subject. Many students can learn in this relaxed atmosphere. Others need more structure. The live online classes are held at set times, so this adds structure to the homeschool schedule. There are, also, set due dates and tests schedules that students will need to abide by.
- A teacher is available for help. During the actual class time, the teacher is available to answer questions. Live class instructors are available throughout the week, as well, if the student needs help.
- Students interact with other students. Usually, live online homeschool classes are held in a virtual classroom with the ability to chat with other students, as well as the teacher. This gives students the opportunity to have discussions and share ideas. These chats are monitored by the teacher and often have rules they must abide by.
- Assignments and tests are graded by the teacher. This is an awesome perk of live online classes. Not only can the parent take a break from teaching, they can also take a break from grading!
Benefits of Self-Paced Online Classes
- Self-paced online classes are flexible. Just like the live online homeschool classes, the syllabus is set and all the lessons are planned out for you. However, students do not have to be present for a live class each week at a certain time. The classes are recorded and available to the student whenever they decide the class fits into their schedule.
- Students can learn at their own pace. Since self-paced classes are recorded, not only can students view the class anytime during the week they want, they can even skip a week. This is great for families who travel or are just plain busy. This, also, allows students to take their time or dive in deeper when an interest leads them.
- Can be used to supplement another curriculum. Generally, the entire self-paced course is available at one time. This means, the student can choose the lesson they want to view. This can help a student dig deeper in a subject they are already studying.
The Academy at Bright Ideas Press
Want to learn more about online homeschool classes? The Academy at Bright Ideas Press is a virtual school, offering both live and self-paced classes for middle school and high school students, taught from a Christian perspective. With over 100 course offerings and 30 plus teachers. The Academy is perfect for homeschoolers as part of their regular course load or for others who wish to supplement their learning with our vast array of course offerings.